Inspired by Eric Metronome's 2006 project "52 Covers in 52 Weeks", I'll be attempting to review a CD every day in 2007. Many of the reviews will appear in other 'zines or on other sites. Some reviews may be of albums that aren't so new.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

#2 - Ronnie Day - The Album

RONNIE DAY - The Album (The Militia Group)
Listen, I've got no problem with songwriters who write from the heart. You write about what you know and when you're 18 and in love, well, that's your life experience. And when your girlfriend hooks up with another guy while you're off recording some music with the lead singer of American Hi-Fi, then you write a new batch of songs, these ones all angry and sad breakup tunes. I get it. Really, I do. I was 18 once. I was the victim of a breakup. Hell, if I could play guitar or sing in tune, maybe I would have written this album. But, I'm not 18. And when I was 18 there was no such thing as LiveJournal or Blogs. These days kids have many different ways to share their feelings and emotions with the entire world. And sometimes, yes, sometimes kids tend to over exaggerate if it makes for a better blog entry. I'm not accusing Ronnie Day of making up his sad luck story but you've got to admit that it makes for pretty good lyrical fodder.

Ronnie's second album sounds a little too contrived and I bet in an old blog entry, Ronnie probably wrote something like "I totally get where Chris Carraba is coming from. Like, dude, Dashboard Confessional touches my heart like no other band ever has." The music on this CD is mainly acoustic-driven lite emo-pop that fans of Dashboard Confessional and The Early November will go crazy for. I think maybe I'm a little too old and have a few more years of relationship experience under my belt to really be able to relate to Ronnie and his sad sap tales of love and heartache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home